In 1885, John M. Nelson and MJ "Rash" Nelson were the original owners of what was then Nelson Brothers Livery and Undertaking, located at the east end of the Court Street Bridge. After the death of John in 1887, Rash continued the business alone, purchased the Kimball Funeral Home and moved to 158 South Jackson Street Location in 1930. The name was then changed to Kimball-Nelson Funeral Home. John H. Nelson partnered with his father, Rash, in 1922, and became the sole owner following his father's death in 1942.
Neal Schneider became a partner in the firm in 1960 and the name changed to Nelson-Schneider Funeral Home. Neal became sole owner with John. H. Nelson's death in 1962. The name Schneider Funeral Home was adopted in 1972.
Neal and his wife, Darlene, opened the existing funeral home at 1800 East Racine Street in 1974. In 1975, Schneider Funeral Home was invited to join National Selected Morticians, a funeral service organization that is known internationally for upholding the most ethical standards in the funeral industry, and whose members are selected by invitation only.
William, Neal's oldest son, became a licensed funeral director and joined the staff in 1977. Daniel, Neal's youngest son, joined the firm as a licensed funeral director in 1982. Barb Schneider, William’s wife, joined the firm in 1982 as a post funeral counselor.
In January 2001, Neal formed a new corporation with William and Daniel all joining together as equal partners.
Darlene Schneider died unexpectedly in July 2002.
Neal J. Schneider graduated from mortuary school in 2005 and joined the staff at Schneider Funeral Home.
Neal J. Schneider and William Schneider became the sole owners of Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory in 2016.
1885 - Nelson Brothers Livery & Undertaking.
1887 - John M. Nelson died.
1911 - John H. Nelson joined father MJ "Rash" Nelson.
1930 - "Rash" Nelson purchased the Kimball Funeral Home.
1942 - "Rash" Nelson died; John H. Nelson became sole owner.
1960 - Neal Schneider became partner.
1962 - John H. Nelson died, Neal Schneider and his wife Darlene became sole owners.
1972 - Name changed to Schneider Funeral Home.
1974 - New facility built at 1800 E. Racine St.
1977 - William Schneider joined father, Neal, as a licensed funeral director.
1982 - Daniel Schneider also joined father, Neal, as a licensed funeral director. Barb Schneider, William's wife, joined firm as a post funeral counselor. Ambulance service discontinued.
2001 - New corporation was formed with Neal, William and Daniel Schneider
2002 - Neal's wife, Darlene "Dee" Schneider died.
2005 - William’s son Neal J. Schneider joined the firm
2007 - Daniel Schneider retires and leaves partnership
2011 - Built a Cremation Center on our Campus
2015 - Name of funeral home changed to Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory
2016 - William and his son, Neal become sole owners of Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory
2018 - Built the Life Celebration Center on our Campus
2019 - William retired, and Neal became the Sole owner of Schneider Funeral Home and Crematory